Monday, October 21, 2013

For Richer or Poorer

Day 5 - 21 October
Instructions
Leviticus 1; Leviticus 10-11; Leviticus 16; Leviticus 25-26

So many rules and regulations, terms and conditions. In light of how Old Testament people lived, people living in New Testament times seem to have it really good.

I skimped through the seemingly repetitive rituals which I believe were implemented for good reason until I got to Leviticus 23 - 24: The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you reside in my land as foreigners and strangers. Throughout the land that you hold as a possession, you must provide for the redemption of the land.

This provides a clear perspective on how earthly possessions should be regarded, which is firstly, temporal and secondly, to be used and shared. There is no point in hoarding especially if it means withholding God's providence and blessings from others. 

There is of course a need for fiscal responsibility, but to be obsessed with possessions, and with being wealthier, and with living in wasteful opulence, is not what God intended for us.

I'm very glad that I've been blessed with the means to set up my marital abode. And I am constantly aware and amazed at God's providence because by no means would I enjoy such comforts on my own resources.

Moving forward, although finances will need to be managed better, and managed differently in a marriage, what remains unchanged is the daily thanksgiving for God's resources and the daily reminder that we are but stewards entrusted to bless others with it. 

Likewise, if we are to fall on hard times, for poorer than richer, it is still alright because all is from God, and all is well.


No comments: