Monday, July 15, 2013

The Lord of the Pain

Day 3 - 15 July
Story of Job
Job 1-3; 38-42

Job 1: 20, “Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away"

Job 2: 10 "Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?”

From my childhood in Sunday School, a song that resonates with me is Lord of the Sunshine because even in my youth, I was quite aware that life is not just about sailing as smoothly as possible. In fact, God is Lord because he is also Lord of the rain and pain. And I liked being grounded by this sobering thought.

He’s the Lord of the sunshine 
The Lord of the rain.
He’s the Lord of the good times,
The Lord of the pain.
He’s the Lord of the mountains,
The Lord of the seas.
He’s the Lord of the music,
The Lord of the children,
The Lord of you and me.

Even in times of dire difficulty, death, destruction, disease, God is still God who made the heavens and the earth. Our existence on this earth is but a blimp although we often feel that the universe revolves around us. This line of thought is easy to espouse when things are fine, but when disaster does strike, I hope that I can remember His blessings and not pick and choose a better day to be his follower from a less dandy one.

No comments: