Monday, December 03, 2007

Special Callings

Calling goes beyond our work and includes our relationships to others: our wives, our children, our neighbors-and our coworkers. We must remember this in order that our "work calling" does not become elevated at the expense of the other important aspects of our lives. This is the holistic approach to the gospel in which God made all of life equally important.

Therefore, the next time someone says, "I was called into the ministry" or "I am in full-time Christian work," stop and tell him or her that we are ALL in full-time Christian work. There is no secular and religious in the economy of God. I have a dear friend who often says, "I am a servant of the living God masquerading as a dentist." So, too, are you first a servant of the living God.

the above excerpt is from today's issue of TGIF's daily devotional. it drives home the point that having a relationship with God as the core of our activities and intentions, we're already called into service no matter what field of work we're involved in.

sometimes we need to weigh our options and discern our direction in life accordingly to ordained purposes. for me the opposite happened; i had doors closed to me, options narrowed and sometimes not given a choice at all as to where i wanted to take my career. i fought and struggled internally and questioned God's wisdom. it wasn't a matter of wondering where God was in times of suffering, but being aware of God's presence and therefore feeling bitter at the turn of events.

however, as the events unfolded, i found myself stronger, more resilient and above all more skilled in areas that i never knew i could manage. in hindsight, it felt like bootcamp. but i emerged all the better for it.

towards the end of my stint in melbourne i prayed about my new posting. however rather than my prayer for my very first posting five and a half years ago (wow....has it been that long?) that went, "please dear God, please do not send to me XX primary school. i had a very bad experience there during attachment and would never want to go there again. rather, i've appealed to the principal of YY primary school, so let me be posted there because serving at the alma mater would be mutually beneficial, right?" the prayer for the coming posting went, "dear God, you see all, you are already there. ministry doesn't really do the posting, but you are in charge of my posting. i know that wherever you post me is where i will work best, not for my comfort, but for the benefit of those i will come in contact with."

in due time, i received my new posting at ZZ secondary school. i will be teaching subjects that i'm passionate about (history and literature) and relived of subjects that i absolutely hate (mathematics and science), so that's something to rejoice about. however, i've also been warned of the notoriety of the school and i'm bracing myself for the bumpy ride ahead.

No comments: